Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Solid Point Between Chef And Buddy
02-07-2017, 06:59 PM
Big Grin The Solid Point Between Chef And Buddy
-- Allen B.

A: One reason I'm therefore certified to disp...

Q: One of my key personnel is giving trouble to me. He's started arriving late for work and has produced a poor attitude in general. The others of my workers are complaining since they are having to take up his slack. I've tried speaking to him, but h-e does not seem to hear. To make matters worse, he has become one of my best friends since I hired him five years before, therefore firing him is going of the question. What can I do?

-- Allen W.

A: One reason I'm so qualified to furnish sage business guidance every week, Allen, is that I've made just about every business oversight you can imagine. Learn extra information about partner sites by browsing our lovely paper. I'm like the Evel Knievel of the small business community, if Evel Knievel wrote a weekly column on motorcycle safety.

Among the more unpleasant things I have had to do is fire a good friend who was not performing I used him to complete. He needed a job, I needed an employee, so I thought I would give him a shot. I-t ended up to become a match made in business hell. To study additional info, please consider having a gander at: go here for more info. H-e took advantage of our friendship by showing up late for work, spending time goofing off in place of working, and building a joke out of my complaints about his behavior. As a result of our friendship I defended his actions to my other employees, but following a few weeks I knew I'd to show him the doorway. We're still friends, but certainly not like we were before.

The error I made was hiring a buddy in the initial place. I allow sensation, i.e. the desire to support my friend gain work, get-in the way in which of my business sense. That is what you're doing today, Allen, and I dislike to be the bearer of bad news, but you are likely to need to handle this situation soon or your whole operation could be affected by the actions of this one-person.

The mistake you have made is the fact that you have befriended an employee, which can be something you should never do. I am not saying you can't be friendly with your employees, but you have attached a large amount of emotional baggage for the employer/employee relationship and the effect is the situation you are faced with to-day.

Friends expect preferential treatment given that they are your friends. The office, but, must be a level playing field for the workers, friends or-not. While workers deserve your respect (if it is gained), giving one worker preferential treatment over still another is never recommended. It is a problem experienced by many business people and managers who allow them-selves to become too near to their staff.

I realize that you had rather eat stones than fire him and he is becoming your friend over the years, but you have to think about how his behavior is impacting your company over all. What effect is h-e having on worker morale, on work schedules, on customer relationships, on time spent repairing his errors, and most significantly, the important thing?

You've two options: get him back on course or get him off the payroll, period. That could seem cool and politically incorrect, but those are your only choices. In either case, you should be his boss first and friend second. He may have particular reasons for his efficiency, but as you are legally limited as to how much spying you can-do into his home life his manager. As his friend, however, I expect that you already have recommended what the problem is. Then do so, when you can help him go back to being a productive member of the staff. If not, wish him well, let him go, and move ahead.

Listed below are a few suggestions to help you establish and enforce the limitations of the relationship.

Define the relationship. The Infographic is a lovely library for further about the purpose of it. Keep your seat, Dr. Phil, this can not take long. The employer/employee relationship must be well-defined from the outset and the details understood by all parties. Some call it 'determining the pecking order' or 'creating the food chain.' Whatever decorative expression you use it all boils down to this: You can be their manager or you can be their pal. You can perhaps not be both.

Don't employ friends or family members. This principle is certainly flexible if you are the master of the business enterprise and you employ your kids to work for you. Odds are your offspring already recognize you as the ultimate authority figure and managing them in a business environment is second-nature. But, even this case may have a negative impact on your organization as non-related workers usually expect the boss' daughter, daughter, or best friend to work less, make more money, and be treated better than everybody else. Whether that is true or not, cronyism and nepotism can create an underlying stress among the ranks.

Establish and adhere to company policies. It's advisable to get published guidelines regarding every part of your business, including worker behavior and performance targets. The relationship is vulnerable to favoritism by it is very nature. Professionals can't help but prefer those employees who work longer, harder, and faster, but in regards to staying with business policies, there should be no preferential treatment of favored employees. Every worker must receive a copy of your printed company policies and sign a form saying they have read, understand, and buy into the same.

Underneath Line: treat everybody else the exact same. It doesn't matter if the worker is just a vice president or even a janitor; everyone within your company should be treated the same when it comes to sticking to released company policies and performance expectations.

While it is true that a vice president could be of more importance for the company than a janitor, it's also true that a vice president who is running amok can do far more damage to your company than a janitor who allows a bathroom backup every once in a-while (there's an analogy there that I will enable you to find out all on your own).

It's maybe not individual, it's just business. This is what the film criminals say to one another before the shooting begins. 'Hey, Paulie, it's perhaps not particular. It's just business.' BLAM! BLAM! This is actually the relationship exact carbon copy of saying, 'It's not you, it is me.' These kinds of statements aren't going to make everyone feel better if they are getting dumped or shot. Just ask any former employee or old lover you have used this line on.

For those who have to fire a worker - even a friend - get it done by the book in a professional way.

It will perhaps not be easy, but you've to remove the sensation and do what is best for your company.

Here is for your success.. To discover additional information, people are asked to gaze at: source.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply